NOVICE / VETERAN
1. Complete a set of sculptured (unless otherwise noted), competition-style nail enhancements using flat, paper or metal forms only. Tips and adhesive are NOT allowed.
1a. Competition-style — The ultimate standard of perfection for all nail enhancements; a set of nail enhancements that have:
- A sleeker, more dramatic look
- A shape that ranges from extreme square to extreme oval (stiletto)
- A 1 to 1 ratio of nail bed (pink) to free edge (white), measured from the center of the smile line
- Product thinly applied near the cuticle area, reinforced at the stress area, and tapered to the free edge so it is equal to approximately the thinness of a business card (.01-.03 inches)
- Consistent "C" curves between 40% and 50% (144° and 180° arc)
2. Competitors must use liquid-and-powder acrylic products or light cured products only.
3. Only sheer pink, clear and white enhancement products may be used. Enhancement products containing glitter and/or any other color are NOT allowed. Cover pinks are not allowed.
4. Embellishments may NOT be used.
5. The model’s natural nails may be prepared for product application before the competition, but product may NOT be applied until the competition starts.
6. No products, such as inverted tips or any “cookie cutter” products may be used to form or assist in making a smile line. All smile lines must be done with a brush by hand. White gel and white gel polish are not allowed.
7. No plastic type molds of any kind may be used to form the sculptured nail.
8. Moons must be added at the base of the nail and must be sculpted on the unpolished hand.
9. All files and buffers must be clean and unused and free from additives including oil; electric files may not be used. You may NOT use any file to refine the smile lines.
10. Water only may be used. Cleansing products (soaps, etc.) and moisturizing products (oils, creams, lotions, bowls with anything in them i.e. marbles, rocks etc.) are NOT allowed.
11. The nail enhancements on the one hand (competitor’s choice) must be polished with red cream polish, or if sculpting with gels a red gel color may be used. Base coat, top coat are NOT allowed. If a one-handed competition, 2 nails must be polished.
12. The nail enhancements on the unpolished hand must be French-style (pink/clear and white), finished to a high shine and completely free of polish. Gel sealant may NOT be used to finish to a high shine.
13. The underside of all nails must look the same.
14. Sculptured Nails will be judged in the following categories: smile lines, “C”curves, cuticle area, shape, product control, moons, surface structure, lateral structure, length, polish or color application, finish work, and overall impression.